Saturday 5 November 2011

You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching

It's that time of year again, Strictly Come Dancing is on! I've always been a bit of a Strictly geek, i've watched it from the very beginning, i know liking the reality shows isn't cool .. but i'm anything but cool. I spend most of October/November/December wishing i'd learnt to dance as a child. I'd love to learn now. I did a dance class for a few years, that i loved, which ended recently but that was girls only, i want to dance with a partner. Preferably a handsome male one. There are many dance classes about where you're partnered, but i'm scared at what the men there would be like, old? pervy? weird? Granted a weird one might suit me.

I think i might need to find a man to take myself. I'm willing to try bribary. I want to learn to do a Tango, an Argentine one. Such an intricate, sexy dance ...however, i feel my briary may have to include a lottery jackpot win. I wish men would realise that there is nothing sexier than a man that can dance (Louis Spence being an exception). Hmmph, if i looked like Ola Jordan or Kristina Rhiannof i'd have no problems finding a parner.

Dance is something we are all born with, stick on something that only vaguely resembles music and my baby nephew springs into action, wiggling around in the cutest of ways, give him 10 years and I bet the most we get out of him is a foot tap. It's not that he learnt to dance, he just knew that that was what he was supposed to do to music. So do it. Dance. Even if you resemble someone having a fit when you do, at least you will probably make someone smile (laugh) that's gotta be a good thing, surely?

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”

-William W. Purkey

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the idea of dancing how I feel, rather than dancing to a certain style - although obviously, certain styles encourage one to dance in a certain way.

    Plus I don't like dancing "with" people.

    Getting up close and personal with a girl is akin to a form fo foreplay with me (Unless I'm dancing with a friend) .... plus I like my space and don't want to feel confined, by how someone else is dancing.

    As for the dance like nobody's watching thing .... would you change how you wanted to dance, even if people were watching you? I wouldn't - I dance how I want to dance :D

    I get the sentiment of the closing quote, but it's not something I'd live by, because the way I behave and live my life, isn't affected by what other people/society might think of me.

    "Live you life, like you want to live your life"

    ReplyDelete